Sunday, July 15, 2012

African Brewing

I think I figured out why the Bamako beer was better than what we've got.  Turns out, instead of barley and hops, they use millet, sorghum, corn and brown rice.  It's just what they have handy, and by happy coincidence, they make for good brewing.  However, I found out that the Three Horses non-alcoholic beverage that I found in Sirakorola is actually usually 5.4% alcohol and is the most popular beer in Madagascar.  It was listed under the same category of beer that I was drinking, but Three Horses was disgusting!  So... I don't know.  I guess you can't cast a judgement on the entire category.

And while we're on the subject of Africa, I'd like to say that, as someone who has lived for three months in a sub-Saharan environment, it's TOO FREAKING HOT out here!  Great White North indeed!  Apparently the previous couple weeks were even worse, so it's a good thing I was hiding out up North, although even there it was kind of grating.

I got a pair of sweatpants a couple days ago.  I guess I never really had a pair before?  These things are legit, though.  I'm using them as a replacement for pajama pants, and I can already tell that they're going to be more durable without being any less comfortable.  I can see why lazy people have a stigma of wearing these excessively.

1 comment:

  1. We've had more than our share of days in the high 30s and a couple of days up to 40 ... a normal summer would have highs maybe 28-32 with a few days near 35. It's not been pleasant. The heat plus the lack of rain is setting up some really nasty conditions down the road, I fear. I can't imagine trying to grow crops in this weather.

    The worst part is when it doesn't cool off at night. When it gets down to 20 or so, it's not so bad; when the low is around 25, you never really get a chance to recover.

    ReplyDelete