Saturday, July 7, 2012

CWY in Guelph

Guelph got it's own CWY group!  I'm feeling a little bit conceited now, because Guealph got Katimavik shortly after I'd completed it, and now it's got CWY relatively shortly after.  This group's going to the Ukraine, and it's an environment-focus program.  Makes sense, although an agriculture-based program would have made sense here, too, since we're a University town and one of the U of G's main focuses is with agriculture.  Everyone on the educated agriculturalist scene that I've met during my time traveling has known Guelph because of this.  We also have a fairly well established farmer's market.

The program is in it's South-North model, which means they will head out to the Ukraine on September 5th, and they will return to Canada and do their Canadian rotation afterward.  But the Canadian Project Leader has already started living in Guelph, in order to find host families and concepts for Education Activity Days among other things.

The list they sent me of ways that I can help are, like when Katimavik sent me their list, just a little out of reach for me.  They request for me to become a host family, and some aid in finances and material-type stuff.

I got accepted into Residence, but they put me on a really harsh time crunch and I don't know if I can make it.  They said that they need payment by this monday.  On their website, their due date is the 15th, and this Monday is the 9th.  I called them up to confirm that this is what they meant, and they confirmed that yes, the 9th is the deadline.  I was on the waitlist, and I guess people on the waitlist get 6 days less than other people to pay their fee.

I've been paying through a trust fund, and by certified cheque.  That's... not an immediate way to send money, especially since two of the four days I have to get them payment are weekend days!  They said that they accept payment by credit card, due to the time issue, but that's not viable for me.

I've done everything I can, and we'll hope that the money gets to them or not.  If I hadn't checked my email that day, I wouldn't have had a chance.  And even having got it almost at the time they sent it, the only two methods of payment that are guaranteed to get there in time are credit card or OSAP.

It's funny, I was on a time crunch for applying to Residence when I came up her, and now I got a time crunch though the Residence application just as I'm leaving.  I'm heading back to Guelph this coming Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment