Sunday, July 22, 2012

Trying the New Bus System

Forgot to say, the day I did that work, I got to try out the new Guelph bus system.  I hear that the new system was created by a guy who doesn't live in Guelph and who has never ridden a bus before.  Seems believable.  Apparently, even if there is no traffic, and the bus doesn't have to stop for anyone, trial runs show that it's still impossible for the buses to do their routes on time.  I've already said that it now takes three buses to make it from one side of Guelph to the other.

To get to work, I walked downtown, took a bus from the terminal, and had to go to the University of Guelph and use their terminal to get to my destination.

I will say that the new terminal is nice.  It's right where the old Greyhound station used to be.  That makes me wonder where the Greyhound station is now.  When I went to visit my dad in Toronto post-CWY, I got to take the Greyhound.  The station's temporary location was a trailor in a parking lot.  It was pretty classless.

So maybe we traded our nice Greyhound station for a nice local bus terminal, and now we've got a clumsy Greyhound meeting spot of similar quality to our old bus spot.

I've been looking for some short-term work.  I just hit up the Job Bank, and to my surprise, I got two responses.  Trouble is, I feel like a scumbag when I'm applying for long-term work and I'm planning on ditching them in a month.  I was honest with the employers, and as I suspected, they weren't interested in the one-month deal.  If I were a smart man, I would do away with my concern for the employers and look after only my own interests, but to be honest, I did the deceptive short-term bit for one month before CWY, and I still feel bad for just disappearing on all those people.  And that was just a stupid temp job, where I got abused enough that I could arguably say any neglect on my part was morally just.  I hate to think how I'd feel getting a really comfy long-term position with a decent employer, and then hightailing it outta there in the form of a premeditated scam.

I'll be hitting up the old temp agencies.  They're more likely to have short-term work.  They have those little assignments that last a day or two, or a week or two.  I feel like, if I've had trouble getting a reaction from them, though, when I was willing to do anything, for any length of time and for any pay on any shift, then putting down any kind of preference is going to cost me major points.

Granddad came over yesterday.  It was fine, but I had to break it to him that I didn't get my driver's license.  I hate breaking that news.  The general expectation is that I got my license, so I keep having to correct people.

1 comment:

  1. Last year, in February, a recruiter found a full-time position that seemed like it would have been a good fit for me, so we went ahead and put my name in for it, and I interviewed with them, and they liked me. There were only two people they were considering for the position, so it felt like pretty good odds.

    Shortly after that, a company where I was just wrapping up a short-term contract mentioned the possibility of a longer-term contract. I couldn't do both. So I told them about the full-time position, and that if they were interested and made a decent offer, I would take the full-time position ... and thus be unavailable for the contract. I wouldn't have felt right acting like I had availability, only to turn around and leave for a better opportunity.

    As it turned out, they wanted me to interview for the contract position anyway, just in case. However, they needed an answer before the full-time people got back to me, so I had to turn them down ... and then I didn't get the full-time position. It sucked, but I felt better than I would have if I'd taken the contract and then bailed right away. (It worked out anyway - they ended up asking me again in a month about the contract, which I got, and the contract turned into a full-time position, so it all worked out in the end.)

    Now, the programming tools I do most of my work in are not common in Indianapolis, so the pool of potential employees is relatively small, and word can travel fast about jerks, so there was a practical side to my approach as well, but I still think it's better to do what you think is right even if it costs you. Someone will recognize your integrity and credit you for it eventually ... and you may also miss out on sketchy opportunities that could end up getting you in trouble. That's not a bad thing either.

    ReplyDelete