Friday, July 13, 2012

Eating Rice Again

I can eat rice again, I really can.  There was a girl I knew that did CWY in the Senegal, which is Mali's neighbor, and she told me that after the program, she couldn't eat rice for two years.  Some months after I finished my program, I tried eating rice, and a couple spoonfuls entirely killed my appetite.  I had thought the whole "Can't eat rice" thing was more of a joke than anything, but it really wasn't.

After the six-month mark since I'd been in Mali, I got frustrated that I hadn't got past it, so I tried again.  This time, I put down a plate and was legitimately hungry enough to go for seconds.

I tried my friend from Karadie's phone number and couldn't connect.  I expected it would be hard.  When I phoned to as far as the neighboring village I had to go all over the place to find somewhere that would connect.  I figured I'd have to be pretty lucky for m friend to be in just the right spot at just the right time.

I know a guy who has called Karadie successfully multiple times, and I've sent himj a message to see if he has a trick.  Of course, his host family was the mayor's family, and I remember that the guy who I'm trying to call had to go through the mayor for some reason, if he wanted to talk to his family.  So maybe the mayor just has a better cell phone?  No idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment