Sunday, September 20, 2009

20th Birthday

Sorry about failing to update for one or two days, guys. Our desktop was fixed, and we had to trade in our loaner laptop. When we got our computer back home, it was still broken!

The good news is, it's my birthday, and I got my own laptop! This is my first computer that isn't a hand-me-down, so I'm very excited.

I need to come up with a name for it The one we just got back is Old Breaky, named for it's proficiency in breaking, and the previous one to it was Old Noisy, named for the fact that it was constantly screaming at an unbearably loud volume, which could be heard throughout the entire apartment, and which could infect a person's dreams and give them nightmares.

I guess it's a little early to decide a name for this one. We don't know yet what it's legacy will.

It's nice to see from today's Google Doodle that my birthday is the same as HG Wells'. Was he that guy who wrote about a time machine? Yeah, I didn't like that so much. But still.

And also, not to thump my chest about it, but did you know that, astrologically speaking, my birthday is the second-most intelligent of the year? The most intelligent ones are September 22nd and 23rd. Do you know how painful it is to come that close and fail?!

Anyway, my feelings toward turning 20...

Well, when I was in high school, I remember my World Issues teacher saying "When you're your age, you think you're going to live forever". I remember thinking that was stupid. Of course I knew I wasn't going to live forever. I understood the concepts of human existence. I wasn't crazy or in denial.

But what I didn't know was that, even if I knew that intellectually, there's a world of difference between knowing the fact, and having it sink deep into your bones, and to fully comprehend it from the bottom of your heart.

Of course, this isn't an epiphany I'm having today. There's no set time for any given person's life where everything falls together like this. No, my understanding came about eight months ago.

...I'll... update more, complaining about the mapout of the human lifespan, later tonight. I wrote up a big rant, but I don't feel like posting it right now.

1 comment:

  1. Some people believe that you do live forever, just not in the same body.

    Patrick would be very interested to know the factoid about astrologically-intelligent birthdays. Colin, on the other hand, might not be. (Assuming that it is cyclical in nature.)

    ReplyDelete