Thursday, September 17, 2009

Therapy & Personal Ambitions

Today I went in and checked into some therapy place. Told a coordinator about my problems. I had a full medical examination before resorting to this, but it turned out nothing. Medically, I'm just a healthy young man. Soooo.... let's try therapy.

I think it went well. I was very thorough about my issues.

Otherwise, I probably have some work doing software, which should buffer out my resume a little more and diversify my experience, so I'm quite pleased with that. It'll be unpaid, but I really don't care.

I've gotta make a doctor's appointment soon, and I hear that the temp agencies are hiring again, so I've gotta go remind them that I'm signed up with them.

Another thing I want to do is, I want to start updating my webcomic again. I've got this webcomic, which will go unnamed for now, which I have been publishing under a pseudonym that isn't the one I was talking about in my last post, and I had to stop updating while our computer was being fixed. Even with this laptop, I haven't figured out how to hook it up to a scanner. And I can't get the old computer back until we get this box back from somewhere else, but regardless, I should keep working at home. Besides scanning, I do everything in the physical world.

I would also like to pick up the chromatic harmonica again. I've been practicing harmonica on and off for six years. I started with the diatonic and moved to the chromatic. It really is a very underestimated instrument. It can play melody and harmony, and it can hold a note, and with bending, a diatonic can be a fully chromatic instrument, and with a chromatic harmonica, it's still possible to bend, and there are dozens of techniques to change qualities in the sounds they make. Regardless, I've only ever been able to master simple melodies, and it's taken me six years to learn the few that I have.

Now, I know it's uncool to practice on-and-off, but I'm talking big stints of intense concentration, and every time, after so many weeks or months without improvement, I just get feeling down and eventually taper off.

There's a forum for chromatic harmonica players. I guess I'll just get some more thorough instructions off them. I've spoken with them a little already, but I'll really put in the effort to figure out thoroughly how to advance from my current position.

A difficulty I'm having is scheduling time to do my webcomic and harmonica practice. Really, with all my part-time work, my schedule every day is different, and it's difficult to put aside set periods of time to do these things. I'm beginning to understand the importance of self-discipline, even in things that one does for pleasure. It seems like a contradiction, but...

Anyway, so I don't think I can do a traditional schedule. I'll have to think of another angle to take this.

In other news, I just compiled all my old book reviews from my old blog, and in total, they are 228, o21 characters, 39, 960 words, and 98 pages in Word. If the page count seems a little high in comparison with the word and character count, that's because there were a lot of bulleted lists. Actually, I'm a little disappointed. I put a lot of time into those reviews, and it didn't come out as impressive as I'd thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment