Friday, September 25, 2009

Life Planning and Video Games

Today, I looked up Katimavik's online application form again to confirm that they did, indeed, fill up seven months ahead of schedule. I was doing this because I wanted to complain about it via this blog. In the process, I found out that I was totally wrong. Both of the courses I thought of taking are still accepting people. The one's that... left on September 3rd have filled up. Oops!

So I signed up. I still need to have a criminal record check done, and I need to get a medical examination. That shouldn't be a problem.

I'd be coming back a month before colleges and universities started, but it turns out you have to be 21 by the start of the school year to apply as a mature student, and my birthday comes right after, so I'd have to wait another year.

I can get my G2 in four months. Driver's training lasts about a month. This has the potential to work together.

I'm gonna use this weekend for planning, and put my plans in action on Monday!

...I'm using Open Office as my word processor for this laptop. Today, I copied my resume onto it, and there's two lines that go onto the next page. Since all the formatting still fits side-to-side, it seems like the page is just smaller, like, up-and-down-wise. It's got me a bit perplexed.

...I didn't get my other post checked to see if it was suitable for publication. If you're dying of curiosity, just know that I was going to explain the video game I was playing, and why I think it has perverted undertones. When I said I was going to edit out the controversial part, I meant I was going to edit out those undertones. But I really thought that that was the most entertaining part of the update, and as a writer, I make it a matter of pride not to edit out the most ingenious part.

I guess I'll swallow my pride, though. The game is called Rune Factory: Frontier. It's the sequel to the original Rune Factory. If you don't know what that is, it's a spinoff series of Harvest Moon. If you don't know what that is, it's a series where you live the life of a farmer in a small town. You expand your house, get married, raise a child, become beloved by the town, and live a good, simple life. Rune Factory is the same, except instead of a just being a farmer, you play a farmer, fisherman, lumberjack, miner, blacksmith, artisan, chef, alchemist, warrior, and wizard. Also, it takes place in a fantastical alternate universe plagued by monsters.

It still feels like you're playing out a series of daily chores, but it beats Harvest Moon in that it doesn't make you feel pathetic for playing a game about reality instead of, you know, living it.

Also, it gets rid of that disgustingly wholesome aspect of the Harvest Moon series. That's the real reason I couldn't get into any of those other games. I don't mind being pathetic, but wholesomeness just isn't fun. The only Harvest Moon game I ever got into was Harvest Moon 64, back in grade 4, and that one contained alcoholism, child abuse, and domestic violence.

Rune Factory: Frontier isn't as frightening as Harvest Moon 64, but it's more perverted, so it balances out.

My mom and my brother are playing it, too. Me and my brother are neck-in-neck regarding timeline, but he's far surpassed me in content. We started playing when we didn't have the Internet, and I purposely neglected to look up strategy guides because I felt that relying on each others' discoveries created a sense of unity, and that it made the competition tighter. Now that we have the Internet back, Duncan's surpassed me, so I've got no real goals anymore (there's no way to lose the game), and leaked information has lessened the fun of discovery.

Even though it's not just a life-simulator, I won't hide the fact that, in some ways, it can be enjoyable as a form of escapism as an improved reflection on reality. For instance, one year is four months, every hour is a minute, and you'll make more progress in that timeframe, than you will in a real year of your own life. Also, if you work hard, you're guaanteed results, unlike in real life.

HEY! Don't look at me like I'm some kind of escapist game-junky that looks at a cartoon world with perverted eyes out of creepy depravity! This is a minor aspect of my life that I've made a quirky observation about!

...But regarding this small, sub-category of my life, it seems that I'm partial to games with a larger female audience. I usually like ones where I have to plan and puzzle my way through things, which generally appeal more to females, whereas more reflex-based one, like fighting games, generally attract a stronger male audience.

1 comment:

  1. You might take a look at the page setup in Open Office. Check the top and bottom margins; typically these are what would push lines onto another page when it worked fine in one application.

    I don't necessarily seek out games that appeal to a broader audience, but I do find it more enjoyable to play games with a larger group of my friends ... for example, people want to come over and play Rock Band, but not so many people want to play Madden or NCAA. It's also more practical from a dating aspect: a woman whom I find appealing is more likely to enjoy a game I like if I play a wider variety of games.

    ReplyDelete