Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Employment, Karate, Katimavik Forms

So I actually did a day's work making jewellery on that co-op thing. Some surprise was expressed at my desire to add jewellery crafting to my resume. I have a feeling I'm... building a reputation. But, y'know, if I have the experience, I have options. I can put it on and take it off my resume at will. If I don't take the opportunity, I only have one option. I said I was open to any work opportunity, and I am. And it's not like I've got a whole lot to risk.

Also, I got a job callback for a position working as a cash clerk. I can't find my job tracking sheets right now, but apparently it's working for the city of Guelph. It doesn't look like it'll be many hours a week, but I'm still going to take a shot at this.

Today I finally got a stripe in karate. It's my white stripe, so it doesn't really show up on my white belt, but at least this means some people will have to stand at my left when we line up. Unless the other white belts have their white stripes, which I wouldn't know, because they're invisible... At least I got one before my attendance stripe!

Sensei Colin's birthday was last week. I'm going to have to figure out the day. If it was Monday, that's my birthday. If it was Tuesday or Wednesday, those are the astrologically most intelligent (and I just learned two people in my family were born on those days!). If it was Thursday or Friday, he loses.

Sensei Colin says he used to train almost all day, every day when he was 20 and 21. How can someone focus that much on combat without being inherently violent? He doesn't seem violent.

There are these brothers I take classes with. I think they're twins. At first I couldn't tell them apart, and now, I don't know how I could have had any trouble! It's strange.

Hmm... Another complaint I have about the Katimavik forms is that, when asking for your name in BackCheck (Okay, so this is BackCheck's fault, not Katimavik's), they give you so many digits to write in your first name, middle name(s), and surname. They give you more than twice as many digits for your surname than your other names. Now, they acknowledge that people can have more than one middle name, so why didn't they give the extra space to the middle name section? My middle names are W***** B*****. Both names are six letters. My first and last names are both seven letters. What would I do if my name were W***** Gryphon S****** B*****? ...Okay, so that would still have fit, but it would have used every single digit. Point is, it's not enough space to be safe!

I posted on that harmonica forum. I decided to just explain my issue as thoroughly as possible and see what they had to say. I'm... nervous. Really nervous. It's very rare, ever since I became dislocated, for me to feel this way. It's a bunch of text from people I don't know, who are communicating with a screenname that can't be traced back to me, and yet this is what puts me on edge.

If anyone is... reading this who I... may have canceled plans with, on account of my illness... And that person is wondering why I... was able to work and then go to karate.... Well, I'm... learning the disadvantages of keeping a blog!

No, but really, today was a horrible strain. Everything I did was sub-par, and I was in a terrible mood until I got my stripe. I put myself through my obligations, but was in no state to celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. Both paper and online forms can be frustrating when they are not set up properly. (My pet peeve is online forms that assume people have only a single capital letter in their last name.) I think most of the time the limitations are either arbitrary or capricious: that many spaces "fits on the page nicely", or "they didn't know you'd need that many", or something else along those lines. I suppose there is a rare form that literally has no more room on the page, but the vast majority of them do. Think of the maximum number of letters you've seen for a part of a name, double it, and add a few. Worst-case, you have a lot of blank space. Best-case, someone with a really long name suddenly likes you.

    Could your sensei have been focusing more on karate as a method of protection, rather than on it as a means of force? I don't know much about any martial art, but it seems as though that might be a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, even if you're great at martial arts, it won't protect you against a gun. And this is self-defense training, but for someone to obsess on self-defense to the point it became their life seems like the textbook definition of paranoia.

    ReplyDelete