Sunday, April 8, 2012

Doing the Old Rounds

This college application process is going to be a pain to the bitter end. On the website, I gave them all the information to access my high school transcript, and it didn't say anything to imply I needed to do more than this. Since then, all three colleges have asked me to send a certified copy of my transcript to the Ontario Colleges HQ. I've done that, but on my online college account, they say they haven't received it yet. I'm not seeing this from Ontario Colleges, I'm seeing this from one college website. If I hadn't applied for that specific college, I wouldn't be able to track my application process. The Ontario Colleges website is really uninformative.

When I was being interviewed at the temp agency, the lady didn't seem to care at all about the hole in my resume. Granted, it's only three months wide, but she didn't seem to look at any of the dates. She only asked about my last two placements, too. I was a little disappointed. I was ready to throw down my spiel.

During the WHMIS test, I hadn't realized that they'd given me a sheet with all the answers. I finished the test, brought it to the woman, and told her that I wasn't confident with two of my answers (I guess it doesn't matter, you're allowed to screw up four times). She was like "Okay" and went over to the instructional sheet she gave me. I slapped my forehead with surprise at my stupidity. She was like "Wait, you were doing that without looking?" I was like "Yeah" She was like "Whoa".

After the interview, I went down to the Tim Hortons where I used to go every time before work at my first placement. I recognized the manager and one of the younger employees all the way back from the last time I was there thirteen months ago. I gave my old order, large coffee, two sugars no cream, and a chicken salad sandwich, whole wheat, don't toast the bread.

I was almost crying into my sandwich. I was like, "I've returned to this way of living!"

5 comments:

  1. Well, at least you don't have those uncomfortable moments where someone's trying to buy your coffee and you're trying to figure out what your obligation becomes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely know how that feels! One time, there was this guy who used to buy a couple of guys coffee before work every day, and when I started hanging out there, he started buying for me, but then more people came, and he was trying to wean off and it wasn't clear if and for who he was buying, because it's not the kind of thing people can just talk about, apparently.

      Delete
    2. haha, I should have been more clear - that's what I was referring to. Before, you had to try to figure out if he just did this kind of thing, or if everyone took turns, or what, and now, you only have to buy your own.

      I have a really good memory, but it's much stronger when it's context-sensitive: I wouldn't have been able to recall your earlier post on its own, but as soon as you mentioned that Tim Horton's, I remembered your posts from before.

      Delete
    3. that's the internets for you. It would have made more sense if I'd just made a reference to your earlier post ...

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that you were talking about people buying you coffee when I thought I remembered that you didn't really drink coffee. Ironic that I was thinking about your response to the post you were referencing in your response for this post.

      Delete