Saturday, April 7, 2012

Guelph Katimavik

Guelph's been having a lot of articles on Katimavik. I read one recently that spoke to the people in charge of the Guelph Food Bank, where I used to volunteer. Apparently, they're a Guelph Katimavik work station.

It was funny to see people that I knew quoted in the newspaper. It was especially funny to see them talking about something that, last I spoke to them, they knew nothing about. I remember going into the Food Bank after coming back from Katimavik, telling the warehouse manager that the reason he hadn't seen me in six months was because I was off doing Katimavik. He was all, "What's that?"

Now I'm reading him in the newspaper speaking extensively on the value of the organization, how it effects both the youth and community. He said that "Without Katimavik, it opens a huge void that needs to be filled". He said that they'd take as many volunteers as the organization would allow.

Not only that, but the Katimavik volunteer had some pretty strong words to say about Guelph and the Food Bank. She said that she had never had a job that she liked as much as she like working at the food bank. She said that she would work longer hours if the program allowed her. She said that she loved Guelph, and after finishing the program, she planned to come back for school, and afterward, she hoped to stay in Guelph for the rest of her life.

These are so many worlds colliding for me right now. When I read this article, I'm thinking from a Food Bank perspective, from a Katimavik perspective, from a Guelph community perspective... I'm seeing photos of a woman in a Katimavik shirt doing jobs in the Food Bank, looking just like it did last time I was there, doing jobs I did when I was volunteering there...

No comments:

Post a Comment