Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dreaming About Elephants

Guess what I found?



It's Mozo! Just like Hawa, he was in my list of people I wished I'd gotten a picture of. I looked through the FB account of someone who had been in the program last year, and I found him. I just need Nono, Crazy Dog Man, and Loud Ice Cream Guy now.

Last night, I had a dream. I was about 13, and walking along some railroad tracks with an old friend from middle school. I pointed out to someplace far away and said "If you look out from here, you can see it".

I've got this background image for my laptop, which is also my cover image for Facebook. It's a band of elephant silhouettes marching in single file under the sunset. This image is what I'm pointing out to my friend.

He says that he needs to get a picture of it and pulls out a camera. However, when he takes the photo, the elephants aren't in it. We look up and see that the elephants are in a new formation. I observe that they must have walked out of range of the camera, and note that they have never done this before.

Suddenly, the silhouettes turn toward us, and then take a step in our direction. Soon, they cease to be silhouettes, and we can see them in detail. Soon, they will trample us.

My friend turned to run. I stop him. "You can't outrun them. The elephants have been frightened, and will head toward the nearest terrain that won't impede their pace. Instead of running blindly, we should go to the forest."

We go to the forest and hide in a ditch. I remember that I was scared, because I couldn't see anything in the ditch, or defend myself against unforeseen monsters. But I thought to myself that sometimes you need to put yourself into harm's way in order to avoid a greater threat, and that you can't always see everything in front of you.

The elephants continued the stampede, and left the two of us unharmed. I congratulated myself on making a good estimation.

That's a pretty good dream. It was a nightmare, which I managed to turn around and make the best of. Dreams don't usually work that way.

Have you heard of Google+? It's Google's answer to Facebook. I have an account. I've had one for a while. It's not very good. Apparently, it was better when it first started, but I didn't quite find it at that stage. Since then, it's updated it's technology to a fault, to compensate for Facebook's popularity.

At first, every time I tried to add an image to an album, I created an identical album to the one I was trying to add to, with the addition of the image I was trying to add. So I had a series of identical albums, with the only difference being that each album had one more image than the last.

It kept trying to identify my face as being in stranger's albums that weren't of me. It kept nagging me to identify the names of people standing in the background of images I took.

I started it when I was in Quebec, so my account was in French. I changed the setting to "English", but it kept my "Circles" in French. I thought this would change once I started using an English computer, but it didn't. So now I have a half-French half-English account, just because I started my account on a French computer.

I feel like an old man. In my day, social networking websites weren't overly-complicated or full of unnecessary faults. Despite the constantly growing problems connected with FB, it remains the most practical networking site around.

I need to admit that I made a mistake with my doctor's appointment for Cutaneous Leishmaniasis. On my card, it says 19 April/12. I thought it meant April 12th. It comes out more simply over this blog, but it's not so obvious when you're looking at the real thing. I brought it to someone else, and they read the same as me. But it does say April 19th. I made a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment