Thursday, April 19, 2012

Infectious Disease Consultation

Well, Blogger updated. Now when I log in, I get to see how many pageviews each blog has. Talk about something I didn't want to know. Thanks for forcing that on me, Google. That company's getting spooky with how much it wants to know, how much it wants you to know, and how much it wants you to know that it knows. The other day, my Google+ account sent me some articles they thought I would enjoy. It did it based on which websites I visit, and what I do on those websites. These are not sites that are associated with Google, nor are they things I Google, so how it collected that information is a mystery to me. On their Google Maps, you can scroll down onto your own street, and many others across the world, and "walk" from place to place like a phantom visiting a previous time. I've read that Google is now more powerful than most countries.

 They're probably going to analyze this article and send me recommended articles regarding suspicion of Google that are from Blogger.

Anyway, I finally got to see that doctor. He told me what I basically thought he would. "Whatever it was, it seems to have passed. I wouldn't do anything about it at this point. If it flares up again, give me a shout." He seemed to think that it was NOT Cutaneous Leishmaniasis. He seemed to take the counter-points for that argument more seriously, and said that "Just because someone else caught it, doesn't mean that you did." Basically, he cast doubt on the one theory, and said he had no clue what it was, but whatever it was, it doesn't seem to be in my system anymore.

 I got accepted into all three colleges that I applied to, but only for Human Services Foundation. Oh well, at least that makes my decision in that regard simpler. I just found out about the other two acceptances today. Something to celebrate.

When I asked that one college about whether or not they accepted unofficial transcripts, I first sent an email and then tried by phone. The lady on the phone told me they didn't, but I got an email saying that they did... Tsk tsk.

 Edit: Okay, the first time I tried to update, it killed my paragraphs. Let's see if this works.

Double edit: They won't let me put paragraphs no matter how many linebreaks I do. They won't even let me indent. Let's try doing a makeshift indent out of spaces.

Triple edit: Nope, they killed my ability to do that, too. Didn't I just say in this very update that Google upgrades it's technology to a fault? I don't think it can survive like this, so let's hope for another modification soon.

Quadruple edit:   Okay, I think this will work.  If it doesn't, I'll leave it as it is.  The method I'm using now is still quite inconvenient.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, as I understand it, the posting interface is basically a wrapper around HTML now, so most of the same rules will apply: whitespace will be condensed (multiple spaces become a single space), there's no "tab" equivalent, that kind of thing.

    Now, you can use some HTML directly in the Compose part of the form. For example, if you did want to indent each paragraph with spaces, you could use a non-breaking space -   - but of course it'll look a little ragged unless you do that for each paragraph, and that's going to get annoying. (Note that Google may display it as a non-breaking space rather than the entity itself (what I typed above), but that's OK, it'll still show up correctly. There's also a trick to typing it so it shows as it did above ...)

    There are a couple of option: you can look for a different template that indents your paragraphs or whatever, or if you're interested, you can pick up some HTML and modify the template itself. (The latter's harder at first, especially if you're not familiar with CSS, but it also gives you control over the entire layout, not just the posting section.)

    You're right, though. Google does mess with its tools too much. Case in point: the new layouts for Reader, Gmail, etc. Fortunately they let us have the option to keep the old look "temporarily" ... apparently they became aware that no one really wanted that new style forced on them.

    ReplyDelete