Friday, April 13, 2012

Printing in the Library

Do you know how you print something out at the library? You used to do it by printing it out like you would at any other computer. Your print would come out of a machine behind the front desk. You'd go up, ask for the print, and they'd give it to you for ten cents.

They changed the way they do it. Now they have a "print computer". I sat down, logged in, and it told me that it had not received a "Print command".

I was fortunate enough that there was a nice elderly woman who stepped me through the entire process. See, to print something out, you need to log in to one of the regular computers, try to print something out, which then sends a "print command" to the print computer. You then lock the computer you're going into and go over and log into the print computer, enter some coins into the machine next to it and submit the command.

That's... unusual. There are some instructions, but they basically say "Get a print command" which doesn't do you any good if you don't know what a print command is.

I uploaded my Quebec photos to my Flickr account, and a bunch of old Facebook profile pictures. In total, I uploaded 75 pictures of Mali, 30 pictures of Quebec, and 15 profile pics. The profile pics came out weird because I cropped them on FB to best suit the format, so each one's shaped a little differently.

In total, I have used 31% of my monthly space on their website. I can pay to get more, but that's a laugh. I just uploaded almost all the photos I've ever taken, and it took significantly less than half of the amount I'm aloud to upload each month.

Everything's titled, and I've grouped them into three "Sets" but I don't have any descriptions up. Because of the way they do title images, I've got Mama's fist pose as my Mali title image, a blurry boat as my Quebec image, and the Ali drawing that Mariko did as my Gryphon Photos image.

I just used my real name as my username, because I'm not trying to be anonymous, and my actual name is unique enough that it wasn't already taken.

The soldiers in Mali stepped down in favour of a stand-in president until the next election. That's good, I think. Maybe they'll get things a bit more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment