Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Time Perception

Of the fifteen temps who started at the same time, only three remain. Two from my original night shift team, and that guy who got shifted from days. They have the machine that's supposed to do the job up-and-running, and the only shift that can beat it is the night shift. So I guess they sent the one guy they wanted to keep to our shift, and they fired everyone on days and afternoons.

Apparently my brother's flute lessons are being payed for by the government. The government wants to encourage the younger generation to appreciate classical music, so anyone inside a certain age group get free lessons on a classical instrument. In my brother's school, he's the only one to take up this offer.

I blame blog posts like this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/every-time-i-write-something-new-feel.html#links for making me think drunk blogging is cool.

But wow, eh? I guess that's what my brain looks like when it's short-circuited. Never knew that. I'm still kind of dwelling on it. I can think of a few explanations. My... uh... grandmother gave me some ideas, too (awkward talking about the type of relationships I share with the people who read this, and who got my drunk broadcast. She thinks "everrisen" could be my attempt at "ever arisen", which makes a lot of sense, considering I used the word "arisen" later in the post, so I clearly felt like using that word.

Otherwise, I think that, because I remembered thinking I should blog about a couple of things (though I didn't actually go through with it), and those points came earlier in the post, I wrote the first part when I was "less blacked out" and came back to write the really unclear part at a different time.

I'm a little proud that I remembered to use the literary technique of using a "hook" even in that state, though the implementation was poor at best ("That reminds me" (says something completely unrelated)).

But I also think technology was working against me. That weird linebreak? Blogger does that to me when I'm sober, too. Sometimes it takes a random segment of a paragraph and inserts it somewhere randomly. And sometimes it splits a paragraph. It did it to me today. It's so frustrating. But if I was that drunk, I probably wouldn't have done as good a job at editing s I usually do.

But still, it was an interesting read. I thought I never reached the "depressed drunk" phase. Apparently I only hit it when I stop remembering.

I can't believe it's been six months since I graduated from Katimavik. Feels like two weeks. Everyone in the factory tries to manipulate their time perception so the work day goes by faster. Thing is, let's say you want to divide your day into three: working, sleeping, and free time. If your working time goes quickly, and your sleeping time goes quickly, you've only got one third of your day to live for. Minus travel time. But if you don't speed up time, your time-perception easily gravitates toward elongating work. That creates a feeling that you're always working.

And people wonder why time feels like it flies, and life feels short! That's what happens if you make it your goal to erase more than half your waking life!

And it goes beyond that. Say you fix your brain to make time perception go faster. It takes a while to adapt it that way. Do you think you can just turn it off for free time? NO! Your mental pattern gets set: it's rare for someone to be able to manipulate their perception that intricately, especially when they have no conception of these principles.

I hate this. I had before made it a goal to elongate my life by manipulating time perception. And it was working. It's even one of the principles of this blog: to highlight events in my mind for this end. And don't tell me it's all in my head, because that's the entire point!

But this job... made it my survival reflex to accelerate my perception, and now my lifespan is melting away at mach speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment