Friday, January 7, 2011

A Wise Old Owl

There's a new girl at work today. Not shifted, brand new. They put her on rockers and sent one of our workers to do his secondary job. What we have now is an abnormal number. We've got seven people doing a six-person job. They might keep our other guy doing his secondary job. That's an upgrade, our's is probably the most low-class job, and they'll probably hire him on. Got about a month left on the contract, and workers are asking if we've been hired yet.

I offered that guy I quoted a fresh-baked loaf of bread. I told him I baked it, and the secret ingredient is love. I want to leave him a loaf in his locker, and leave a tag on it that says,

"With love,
Gryphon
XOXOXO"

Or maybe,

"From,
Your secret admirer"

And obviously he'd know who it was since I'd just talked to him about bread.

I was talking like a motormouth until break today, and put my coworker in shock. I'm usually so quiet. New girl couldn't imagine me being quiet, she told us. After break, I was dead silent for the rest of the night. When questioned on it, I said,

A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard,
Why can't we be like that old bird?

I was glad I got it right. Half the time I screw up and say, "The more he saw the more he spoke".

Baked six loves today, but I don't know if that guy will be at work today, since it's overtime, so I'll wait until the next regular shift.

2 comments:

  1. "That guy I quoted"? Did I miss something? Or maybe misunderstand something? Don't know who you mean ... BTW I do so enjoy hearing your social commentary, your observations on how people relate to each other. Very interesting and often amusing. Work relationships are a special kind. I find I can feel quite friendly with people I work with, and yet if I leave the job I seldom make an effort to keep in touch. It's like being close in a superficial way but not in a deep-down-inside way. Or maybe like the bond dissimilar people develope sharing an ordeal of some kind. And I'm so glad you are checking out the job situation working with disabled people -- let me know what develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You like banging prostitutes, buddy? I do. I banged like, fifty of 'em."

    I'm calling him "that guy I quoted" so I don't break my privacy policy.

    ReplyDelete