Saturday, January 29, 2011

Building Axles

New woman got fired. Yikes. Two female workers, and both of them get fired within a week. Please tell me I'm imagining things.

There are six jobs at my assembly position:
-Install rockers into clutches
-Install springs into clutches
-Build Clutches
-Install rockers into axles
-Install springs into axles
-Build axles

I am trusted with five of these six positions. I recently failed at building axles. My coworker showed me how to do it... My supervisor came over and saw I wasn't doing it right... So he taught me. He came over later, saw I was still doing it incorrectly, and instructed me to stand by and watch while he talked me through the process. Later, I screwed up again, and he taught someone else, who replaced me. He surpassed me in a day, while I'd been practicing for much longer.

I think this supervisor thinks I have good hands, but a bad brain. I can't really complain that this is a bad mode of reasoning. I'm pretty quiet, and when I do speak,it's when I screw up: not being able to find the entrance to the factory, not being able to tell between two different types of parts, not being able to tell the difference between a complete axle and an incomplete one, etc.

Whenever I speak to him, he refers to me in overly-cordial honourifics, like, "my friend", "sir", "boss", or, "my main man".

Whenever something needs to be explained, he pulls me aside afterward and explains it to me individually.

My plan is to wait until the more powerful supervisor is switched to this shift. Then, I'll move to being builder for axles, and he won't know to tell me otherwise. I've been practicing behind this supervisor's back...and I'm pretty good at this point, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment