Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Years

Oh wow, this is the first update since before Christmas.

I must have gotten too used to working. I never knew what to do with all the time! I'd be sitting around, doing nothing, and think, "What did I do with myself for the two years I was unemployed?!"

I saw all the people I was trying to see... Christmas was okay. It was sort of anticlimactic, but that's fine. It was quirky and funny.

This was a pretty eventful year. I worked for an ice cream factory, completed an online writing course, worked at a place for developmentally handicapped people in Prince Edward Island, worked at the food bank for food banks in Thunder Bay, lived with the Cree, grew a beard, spent two months as a vegetarian, saw the ocean for the first time in my life, climbed a mountain, did a sweatlodge, lost almost all my possessions, blacked out for the first time in my life, saw six bears in the wild at once, and got full-time employment.

I hope next year is as exciting!!!

It's not just the end of a year, but also the end of a decade! We're saying good bye to the naughties (I can't believe that's the name people are using) and moving into the... teens? The first two decades of the century are awkward.

I'm going into work this New Years day. The agency called me pretty early inside the break after canceling my last shift, telling me I'd go in January 1st. That made sense to me at first, assuming New Years was Sunday. But it turned out it was Saturday. I thought they made another mistake, but they recently called to confirm I knew I was going in Saturday at 11:00. I didn't realize they could just up and tell you that you were coming in on a Saturday, but I guess they can. I wonder if I have to bring in a whole timesheet, just for the one day, since it'll be considered the first day of the week the shift after this one.

They canceled the last shift before break, meaning nobody got their timesheets signed, and they had to call all of us individually, confirm our hours, then message the company.

I don't remember if I said that one person in my group's not coming back. He was the guy who worked those crazy hours, having two jobs. He got a new position at the other place he works, so he'll still kindof be working two jobs, but it's way fewer hours than he's doing now. It's too bad he's gone... We always sat together at breaks because we're the only non-smoking temps. The others go outside. And we were usually on the same team, but it's good he'll be working less hours now. He was killing himself!

My New Year resolution is to update this blog daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment