Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Loot

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I know I should be making up for lost time, but I had a project that I thought I'd need done the next day, and it took me six straight hours to complete, so the sun was rising by the time I was finished, and I'd kind of lost my ambition to post by that time.

Anyway, let's go over my Christmas loot.

I got some suspenders. Somebody told me that my... pants required suspension, and asked me if I'd consider wearing suspenders. I guess this recent problem comes from my weight loss. Wearing suspenders is a concept that's a few generations old, but I said that I would. I didn't think anyone took me seriously, but I guess someone did, because I got some, and I've been wearing them all yesterday and today. Yes, I'm aware that a belt is also used for pants-suspension, but I think these suspenders are a riot! I thought I was past the adolescent stage of wanting to look strange.

I got a brandy snifter. You know, so that I can look like a supervillain. So far, I've just drunk beer and eggnog (with whipped cream on top) out of it, but I still looked pretty evil, so that's cool.

I got some loungewear, too. Chilling in loungewear with suspenders and a brandy snifter feels cooler than you'd think.

I got a bunch of videogames, as per family tradition. You probably don't care for my witty observations regarding these titles, so I'll just list them:

Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Dokapon Journey
Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
Shonen Jump Naruto Shippuden Clash of Ninja Revolution III (just rolls right off the tongue, eh?)

Duncan got some games, too. I still haven't beaten all my birthday games, and I don't think I've beaten all my last Christams's. I can only beat, like, two games per year! Well, that's not true. This blog has been up for like, a quarter of a year, and I've got three games in my review blog. But any large undertaking of a game will take me like six months. I guess only two of the above titles are meant as long-standing games with an endgoal: Pokemon Platinum and Animal Parade. Pokemon Battle Revolution is more an additive to Pokemon titles, Dokapon Journey is more like a board game, and that... large title is a standard fighter. Play around a bit in Pokemon Battle Revolution, play a game of Dokapon Journey, and unlock the characters in Clash of Ninja and I'll have three more reviews to do.

Pokemon Battle Revolution and Animal Parade were combo gifts to both me and Duncan.

I got a giant cactus and a cute little baby cactus.

I also got a Pokemon wall hanging. I've... never put up a poster or anything like that in my room, and this thing is... noticeable. I've decided to share it with the rest of the family. It's historic, though! Because one of the most reputable video game and electronics stores sold it to Mom when it's been on display in their store for many years. I don't think they would have sold it to just anyone, either. So now, any Guelphite within ten years of me will recognize this wall hanging, and it's origins.

And I'm not ashamed of the content of the wall hanging. Pokemon is my childhood! And it's the childhood of nearly everyone of my generation! But still... I don't want it to be the main focus of my room, so... I can share.

That's about that. I could talk about what me and Duncan got Mom, or this other project that will be enacted in the spirit of Christmas, but... I don't feel like that's any of your business. Some good stuff, though. We put in some effort this year.

1 comment:

  1. Acquiring something like that wall hanging is very cool, regardless of what's on it (because it is something that not just anyone could get) ... and in your case, as you point out, what's on it makes it more valuable to you as well.

    Pokémon was a very significant development in gaming: MTG for "kids", basically, but in a more general sense, it showed that there could be multiple markets for card-collection games. (While the appeal was primarily to kids, adults played it too: I still have Pokémon Blue somewhere around here.)

    Not only that, but in a sense, the comparison is very unfair to Pokémon. Magic had a single series of quality video-game conversions, but only for the PC and a long time ago. (Later, they had a dueling game that was tolerable; now, there's a version for the 360 that is ... um ... best described with a word I would prefer not to use on someone else's blog.) Pokémon, on the other hand, had a long series of quality video games on several Nintendo systems, a series that continues today with some games you now have.

    I think the equivalent for me would be a Wizardry wall hanging or something like that. Of course it would have to be acquired from a significant hobby store around here ...

    ReplyDelete