Monday, December 7, 2009

Flu Shots, Library, Forms, Forum

Today I got the H1N1 and regular flu shots with Mom and a family friend over at the University of Guelph. The H1N1 is known to be painful to take, and to keep hurting for awhile afterward. It didn't bother me at all, before or after. Neither did the other one, but that one made me bleed. Worse than I ever have from a shot, and because the person who gave it to me didn't put a cotton ball and some tape on it, like everyone else got, the blood put a pretty mean stain on my shirt.

That's probably the worst effect I've ever had from a shot, although I'm always paranoid enough about it. You know how they always want patients to stick around for a set amount of time after getting the shot, just to see if there's any adverse effects? Well, I always want to stick around longer than the required amount. One time, the person I was sitting next to fainted. And one time, when I was in middle school, I had to wade over the bodies of my peers to get to the nurse. Everyone who was on the smaller side had passed out. I remember seeing my friend's unconscious body behind a pane of glass while I waited in line.

Other than the paranoia of the shot, I'm also never fond of going to the U of G, although it's only for a petty reason. I was rejected by the school, so I always feel dirty. It's also where we get counseling, and while our counselors are a bit older than me, they're still of my generation. I always feel awkward talking about the stagnancy of my life, and my past failures to get into school, when I'm talking to people who just graduated from a school that rejected me.

Otherwise, today I got my second letter of recommendation on paper. I also talked to the person Information at the library on Internet access with a laptop. Turns out, I do indeed get unlimited free time, and I don't even need a library card. This means thata couple years back, when I had thought I'd hacked into their system with a PSP and was surprised to find that I still had to agree to the terms of use, I actually wasn't breaking any of their rules.

Although, the fact that she specified that I didn't need a library card right off the bat like she did implies that she didn't know that I had one. I've been frequenting that library for several years now, and I certainly know her! *Pouts*

Some guy asked me if the express computers had Internet access. I said they did, but that they only gave you 15 minutes, instead of 45 like the others, and you know what he did? Turned around and asked Information the same question! Right in front of me, and right after I'd given him a very straightforward and confident answer! Why'd he ask me if he wasn't going to accept my response?

I called my family doctor to check in on my Katimavik forms, because our phone mailbox had spiked, filled up, disallowed incoming messages, and had refused one from our doctor. I was concerned that it was about my forms, and wasn't confident that they would call twice about something like that. I got her nurse, she contacted my doctor, and my doctor said that while they weren't quite done, she'd have them completed by the end of the week. That works pretty well for me. I just needed them this month or the next, and that would be only because I'm paranoid, but I'm a lot more confident now that I've got a date that I can expect them by.

My brother's got an online friend from Russia. He says that in his country, Santa doesn't have a sleigh or reindeer... He just walks everywhere... And he doesn't have elves to make the presents... He makes them himself... And he doesn't go down chimneys... He walks through the front door... And you he doesn't live in secrecy... And you don't leave him milk and cookies... Apparently he's admittedly a bit of an alcoholic, so you give him a beer... Also, his name isn't Santa. It's Grandpa Frost.

I dunno. I like the mysticism and grandeur of Santa Clause, but this Grandpa Frost guy sounds pretty cool, too.

Oh, and today I was bestowed the honour of writing a story chapter for my brother's forum. My brother has a forum, you see, and for a while now I've been frequenting it. It's actually pretty well-established. It's been up for over a year and it's going strong. They have an interactive story that all the members contribute to, and this is going to be my debut.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes in the situation you describe (where someone asks you a question and seems to disregard your answer), I think it's because you gave him an answer he didn't want to hear. Maybe in this case, he was hoping that the express computers also gave you 45 minutes of access, and when you didn't say that, he asked "again". If they did and you'd told him so, he might have accepted your answer ... the problem was the fact itself and not the person communicating it.

    ReplyDelete