Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Time Management, New Millenium

Today I went to 2ndchance and finally got my employment reference letters. I tried to go yesterday, but they were closed. Their holiday hours are weird. One of my counselors was at the front desk, and I talked to him about all my time management issues, balancing Katimavik, this new potential employment contract, and the writing course, plus what to do about the Katimavik forms that still need to be filled out. He basically told me all the stuff I thought I already ought to do, but it still gave me a lot more confidence in how to handle these things.

Hey, if I wind up moving away for this employment opportunity, Mom and Duncan say they'll read my blog! Yay!

Also, I went and tried to find the Habitat for Humanity Restore and couldn't. I tried to do this yesterday, too. I want to volunteer there, is the reason, and I want to do it before the end of 2009, so I can put it down as "2009 - 2010" on my resume as the length of time I've been there. I also just want to fit one last thing in before the end of the decade.

But I did find it eventually today. I've been in the Restore before, which is why it was so baffling when I couldn't find it in my two sweeps of the neighborhood yesterday. I did another two sweeps today, and looked it up online, and it confirmed that the place I thought it should be was where it was.

But I pulled up the map they offered and found it contradicted their directions. So I went to the place on the map, and found it. It was too late to volunteer, though. Oh well, I've got two more days.

The writing course thing turned out not to be so bad. I can take a four week course, earn a certificate, and then leave for Katimavik, if I get in. I'm going to see if I can get whatever else might be included in the scholarship postponed.

Sooo... it looks like the employment section of my resume did better in 2008 than it did in 2009. That's a bummer. At least my education, certifications, and volunteer sections were better.

So... this decade, the 00's, is winding to a close (depending on how you read that, it rhymed). It ranged year 10 to year 20 for me. I dunno if that comprises your "day". You know, as in, "In my day, everything was better" or if your twenties also get to be your day. I sure hope so, because they're calling the 00's the "noughties", which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's one letter off from "naughties", pronounced the same, and the differentiating letter looks nearly identical to the one it's replacing. Also, "nought" means "nothing", right? "00", in this case, doesn't mean nothing! It was as much a decade as the last one was! I'll take twenty through thirty as my day, thank you. I can't accept such a stupidly-named decade as my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment