Monday, December 7, 2009

Late Post

This is a late post, not an early one, as I'll update later today.

I've been making a conservative effort not to say the word “b**ch”. No, not “birch”. The word that technically means female dog, but is more commonly used as a derogatory term against females at large.

It has been my observation that the use of this word causes a negative reaction in at least a large minority of womankind, and even creates a lasting bad impression of the speaker of said word, regardless of context. The word has branched out as a term that can be applied to men, inanimate objects, situations, and even abstract concepts, but no matter what it's concentrated at, I have noticed that it isn't uncommon for a woman to quickly develop a cold demeanour toward someone who uses the term for any reason.

I guess it's fair. You wouldn't use the N-word even casually. At least, I wouldn't. I can't even say it on the first try, even if I'm totally alone. I can't even type it. I can't even type part of it, then use asterisks to cover a few letters, obscuring it like I did with b**ch.

I guess that's kind of juvenile of me. I should have full mastery of my tongue at my age, and there should be no words forbidden to me, but nonetheless... I'm going to consciously forbid more.

On the other hand, nobody seems to care about using the word “dick” or “prick” (no sensorship at all) as derogatory, even though those are male-specific insults. I suppose we haven't suffered enough discrimination yet. I know I don't care if someone uses such a word as an insult.

I think it's best, even if you're really mad, to stick to words that don't refer to any category of person. If you call someone a b**ch, you're saying they're bad in a particularly female way. You want to keep the feud between the two of you. It's more personal that way, anyway.

Like, for instance, I wouldn't even call my ex a b**ch. I'd rather call her the purest form of evil I've ever seen materialized in human flesh.

I like f*ck and sh*t (only asterisk'd 'cause I'm still not positive on the rules of this blog) because they only mean natural life processes we all go through.

But that makes me wonder... why does a swear word even need a meaning? I mean, they're all used for everything. They don't need to mean anything outside of general negativity.

An apartment in the building next door has these lights put up... They're yellow and blue. They were up before Halloween, and at the time I thought they might be Halloween lights, because the yellow might pass for orange, and the blue might pass for black. But they never took them down, and now I'm thinking they might be a shrewd way of managing multi-purpose festivity lights, since the Christmas craze starts up before the Halloween one ends. Put up those lights at the beginning of the Halloween hype and you're good until after Christmas. Sweet.

According to my astrology, my relationships will never go as smooth as I'd like, and I'm attracted to what also disturbs me. So true.

Also, check out me and my ex's relationship astrology:

“Highly physical Leo takes it as a personal affront if Virgo doesn't match it;s leonine ardor. Virgo's passive and reserved nature frustrates Leo and leads to quarrels. Virgo isn't quick to hand out praise, and Leo lives on nothing but. Leo is a spend-thrift, Virgo is careful with pennies. They're both very independent, but Leo expresses this in a temperamental way, while Virgo is very private. Virgo will simply not be dominated by tyrannical Leo, and always has its guard up. This affair has a shorter life than a mayfly.”

So true (mayflies live over three years, right?). Anyway, there's more true stuff on her under Leo relationships in general, and Leo women, basically talking about how she's a horrible human being, and how she is evil and fails hard. The only relationship that is given no hope with Virgo is Leo.

Anyway, Virgo's not exactly a wiz at relationships, either. There's a reason our symbol is the virgin. I'd like to put a positive spin on this, but let's face it, I just pulled a loser, relationship-wise. The most I can hope for is meeting endgame inside a relationship, but I can't expect to make it there in comfort.

Something they got wrong though is, they say my erogenous zone is my stomach. Really? My stomach? Is anyone's erogenous zone their stomach?

The book says, though, that the consolation for those who have to deal with my critical nature is that it is proof that I really care about them. That's good news for Mom and Duncan. And everyone and everything.

Hey, do you guys remember me pondering on what I'd first run out of, in regard to my candycane reindeer? The options were...
1)Candycanes
2)Pipecleaners
3)Beads
4)Googly eyes
5)Noses
6)Glue
7)Space in my container

The answer was 7, space in my container, but I found a new one in a Maxwell House coffee container. The next thing I ran out of was 1, candycanes.

1 comment:

  1. We just had a discussion related to this over the weekend ... my book club meets on Sundays, and for this month we read Friday Night Lights (if you're not familiar with the story, it's about high school football in a small town in Texas; racism is apparently embedded deeply in the town).

    I think your idea – about not using a word that is used to refer to a category of person – is an excellent one. There are quite a few words used in that capacity, and in all cases, I think using them is a conscious or subconscious attempt to distance yourself from the person at whom you're directing them.

    In theory, it's easier to call a woman I don't like a b-word than to say something specific about her. After all, it isn't the fact that she's a woman that upsets me: it's something she said or did, or maybe even a pattern of things she's done that upsets me. That's what I should be responding to.

    Swear words really don't need a meaning; there are several examples of this (perhaps more, because we can't really be sure of the origins of the older ones). For a simple example, look at the now-dead TV series Farscape. The premise involved translator microbes (to get around the difficulty of different species with different languages) ... and as a result, they occasionally used words like "frell". The words didn't actually have meaning, but the effect was the same: the producers essentially made up a way to use curse words without actually having the characters curse.

    ReplyDelete