Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Old High School Visit

Alright, so I'm in the library now. I woke up later than I'd have liked, but I still made it to my old high school in time. To my surprise, when Mom asked me where I was going, I said I was going to "My school, to see if I can pick up some papers". MY school?! I graduated like, a year-and-a-quarter ago!

Walking into it was weird, too, because it didn't feel extraordinary or unusual. Still run-of-the-mill. All the old people are working there, too, and they don't look any different. My old principle was there, even though she's retired. Like, she was RIGHT AT THE DESK WHEN I WENT IN! I remember I went in there... to visit guidance... for some reason, right after getting tickets to see my ex nine months ago. When I went in, two of my friends were walking down the hall, and another friend was sitting around the other side of the hall, and they hadn't met each other, and I was coming up the stairs, still beneath their field of vision. It came so that it seemed that I sprang out of thin air. Both times it felt like the school had... orchestrated things a bit. It's the oldest school in Ontario. Over 200 years old, and it's even got haunted painings that have endured a giant fire mysteriously, and even more impressively, the stupidity of over 200 years of students, my friends being included in that... And even a few stupid teachers, to my astonishment!

So it must be a haunted school. Not meanly haunted, but haunted nonetheless, and it can tweak circumstances to help make me feel a bit more welcome.

Aaaanyway, my principle asked me how life was going, and I told her. It's difficult to tell what she thought of that. I remember I was selected as 1 of 8 most likely to change the world, that two of my best friends were also selected, that we were sent away to represent the school at a meeting with a somewhat famous person, where every other school had selected a group of 8, and in which the famous lady selected me over everyone else, to lead the chosen leaders in the one and only group activity held between all schools. Sorry to brag, but the point is, I'm all washed up. I had to stay an extra year before graduating, and then I tried to get into university... The school even funded me, but I wasted their money 'cause I couldn't get in, and then I never managed to get a steady job.

So anyway, my old principle got me to sign in at the office and see a guidence counselor. I can never tell what those guidence counselors think of me. They're... unorthodox. One moment they're telling me I can change the world, and funding my university application without my approaching them, next they're... I dunno... telling me to aim low, that soon age and growing responsible will kill my curiosity about the world, that I won't have the energy to worry because I'll be so weighted down with responsibility, that happiness can only be found in small and occasional things... And they'll plan a meeting, and suddenly brush me off, giving some advice I've. All smiles about it, though.

Anyway, so this guidance counselor I saw, she gave me a link to another youth volunteer program similar to Katimavik, Canada World Youth. It actually looks pretty alright. It takes place, three months in Canada, three months around the world. It does cost like $2750. It covers things like travel, food, housing, schooling, so I can't complain, but still, I want everything for free!

I'll look further into this. If you don't pay in advance, it may be worth applying for, in case I don't get into Katimavik. I'd learn about Katimavik first, because it'd happen earlier, and I can't do both programs because they overlap. I guess I COULD do both programs, since CWY is between 15-25, but that's too far in the future to consider. Point is, at this point, if I get accepted somewhere, I'm going to jump at the opportunity.

OH NO! I forgot to sign out! And school ends in 10 minutes! Should I go back? Should I go back?!

Aw... whatever. I don't think I will.

Only got 5 minutes left on the library computer. Long wait today. Never had to wait for a computer so long. Must've been close to the full 45 minutes.

Oh, there was a fire alarm close to when I entered the school. It was actually postponed so that the ex-principle could talk to me. I got to participate in the fire drill.

Sorry to talk fondly of old high school days. I know only JERKS are supposed to have enjoyed their teen years, when you're supposed to have been riddled with anxiety, but what do you expect? I've only been out of my teens for three weeks! I haven't had a lot of time to get glory days outside my teens, and I haven't had a lot of luck post-graduation, so it's nice to have something good to look bakc on.

OH! Less than a minute! Quick! Title! Send!

No comments:

Post a Comment