Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Begging Results

Well, it turns out that begging helped me out quite a bit, after all! A lot of branch family and friends surprised me by offering their support!

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorneys Investigations came out today, but there's no way I'll be angling for it when I've got my beggar's face on. I'll play it in six months.

The only community that hasn't cashed out is deviantART (old account that I abandoned a year ago). Selfish artists!

Recommend some books for me! The guide recommends I take reading material for travel days. You don't know what I've read and I probably can't get it, but you know... worth a try. I know several places where I can get a book for a quarter, and I have enough books that, if your recommendation has some level of renown, there's a significant chance I have/can get it.

Feels like a long day, but I don't really think I did much. I researched prices for things, scheduled meeting with people before I leave...

Um... Well, my brother got married in his videogame. Some belly dancer lady. SCORE! Mom got married to a wizard. SCORE! It's a game from the Harvest Moon series. You know, the one about farming that I talked about near the beginning of this blog? The one without monsters. I'm still working on the one with monsters. I can't decide who to marry in either game...

Those Eskrimastick people got uniforms... Still look pretty tough.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm ... I think that once I took Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment on a trip, but I found it rather difficult to read in the airport. It required more concentration than I could give it with the other people around. On the airplane, it worked better. It might work on a train as well if that's how you're traveling from place to place.

    If you had a way to read e-books that you could take with you, you'd be set ... there are all kinds of places that have free e-books, at least in the US. Copyright protections here expire 75 years after the death of the author, IIRC, so there are a lot of old works that we can read for free now. Canada and the UK seem to have similar deals, I think. But I would guess they discourage taking a laptop with you.

    If you enjoy science fiction, I'd recommend anything by Robert Heinlein. Those are typically books you'd find in a used book store ... I think his last book was 20-30 years ago.

    I'm currently reading some of the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, if you like Tolkeinesque fantasy. There is an order in which it is best to read them, though, so if that appeals to you you'd want to seek out The Sword of Shannara first.

    For something from medieval times, Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth is a nice, long read, although I think it's more recent (last 10-15 years) and may not be as easy to find cheaply.

    For your return, good places to find e-books, among other places, are The Gutenberg Project and literature.org. I was just reading about a UK project that scanned a whole bunch of old books, but I think they made those available to Kindle readers and such ... don't know about PC readers in general.

    ReplyDelete