Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I was just kind of stressed. I'll try to update twice today, but don't expect much.

Volunteered at Habitat for Humanity for three and a half hours yesterday. That place has sort of a boom-and-bust need for volunteers. While there are times when you can be very productive and it's a good place to go if you're looking to expand in experience through volunteering, there are also long stretches when there's nothing to do. This time, there were a lot of volunteers, all high school students. Me and another guy stayed there until the end of the day and I had a nice chat with him. It was funny because I kept initiating conversation and he actually seemed to enjoy my company. Having gone through high school and it still being fresh in my memory, I felt like a cool veteran on the topic we were speaking.

For the first while there was very little to do. Most of it was just sitting down and waiting for someone to tell me to fetch something, but eventually I was set to work taking shelves out of boxes, then sorting cardboard and plastic. There was... A lot of that. Kind of tedious, but a lot better than nothing, IMO.

Since Katimavik is a volunteer program I wonder if I can put everything I do there under volunteer experience on a resume, or if I would just slot it under one point as education? After all, I didn't put down every class I took in high school...

1 comment:

  1. Hmm ... good question. I have work experience, so I tend to put my volunteer activities (like working at the speedway and the football stadium for charity groups and working elections) in a separate section and simply list that I did the work, not the details of what I did. But if I had done volunteering that was directly relevant to the position for which I was applying or to my career, then I would probably list the details, but maybe still list it under Activities or something.

    Maybe one reason for not listing the specifics that you'll do in Katimavik is so that you can discuss it during the interview; at that point you could highlight some of the things that were more enjoyable or more notable experiences or whatever.

    heh. Maybe advice from someone a little closer to you in age or experience is more useful. Something appropriate for my resume might look very odd on yours and vice versa. :)

    ReplyDelete