Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cat Attack, Donations, Family Counseling

Sorry I was in a grumpy mood yesterday. I oughta watch that, especially if reminding people of my existence might attract people to this blog. You see, my cat attacked me yesterday, and I was still kind of surly about that. I don't know why I didn't think to mention it.

I think the reason he attacked me is because I was going through some stuff in my room, and I found something that I think he... eroded with his urine, a... long, long time ago. I touched it with my right hand, and even though I washed it thoroughly, to the point I couldn't smell anything on it, I guess his nose is sharper than mine.

First time, I tried to pat him, and he slashed me. Then, watching his behaviour and reviewing the events I'd just gone through, I offered my left hand. He requested to be petted tentatively, which I did without consequence. I held out my right hand, just for him to sniff, and he slashed me again.

I think that's the first time he ever struck to damage with me. He shouldn't have been frightened... It was his own scent. He must have thought it was some robo-cat, since the object he marked was metal.

I wish I'd been more in-depth about the people who are offering their assistance. I feel I gave them a disservice yesterday, but I was still overwhelmed and couldn't think what to say. A great-uncle in Ireland has offered. An uncle in California. A teacher is running a petition for donations among all my old teachers. An employment counselor I only met once has offered...

It really is quite an experience. I'm speechless.

We went to our last session at family therapy. Not only am I leaving, and therefor, there'd be no reason to continue, Mom and Duncan only having issues with me, but also, our counselors are graduating next month!

Final analysis is that the experience was... less than revolutionary.

I don't have anything else to say except karate things...

I got to say the principles of the black belt today! That was pretty awesome. I screwed it up three times but oh well.

And we've been learning how to introduce ourselves in a tournament. It's not technically supposed to effect your grade, but apparently it's important to wake up the judges and to get yourself keyed into what you're doing. I saw an introduction done proper by a black belt. In his bow-in, he shouted his exhale, somehow. When he introduced himself, he went through the friendly formalities, but he barker them violently. I had to choke back snickering into my sleeve. I couldn't help but think "What're you so angry about, Sensei? Gonna fight the judges?" If I were one of the judges, I would've been tempted to roll up my sleeves and throw down with the guy, he seemed so aggressive.

And we've been going over that attitude that says "I'm not here to compete, I'm here to win." I'm afraid I couldn't help but think "There's only one winner. If everyone is taught to have that attitude, most of the people who have it are still going to lose... They're just lying to themselves".

No comments:

Post a Comment